TMJ treatment (Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders) can help with the group of painful conditions that affect the jaw joint and the muscles that control jaw movements. Listed below are the common pains associated with TMJ.
Who can benefit from TMJ Treatment?
- Dizzy spells
- Earaches (without infection)
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty speaking
- Chronic pain or tenderness of muscles around the ear, neck, face, upper back and shoulders
- Worn teeth
- Twitching of the face or eye muscles
- Difficulty sleeping
- Sensitivity to light and noise
Factors involved in TMJ disorders
- One dominant chewing side
- Whiplash injury especially involving air bag deployment
- Worn down dentures or ill-fitting dentures
- Repetitive chewing
- Heavy telephone use and cradling the phone between the chin and shoulder
- Dental orthodontia
The Treatment of TMJ disorders
This is an hour long treatment. There is a palpation assessment followed by massage of the jaw, neck and shoulders and treatment of trigger points. The recommended treatment regime would be up to six sessions on a weekly basis.
Appointments can be made at either Wayside Surgery or in Burstow.